Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Designer Pear?



      Recently I judged the fruit and vegetable entries at the Neshoba County Fair.  The cool July allowed for some pretty good produce. The pear entries this year were probably the best I have seen.  They all had good size, shape, and color.  The only exception to this was an entry where all the fruit was apparently infected with cedar-apple rust.  Normally you will see spots on the leaves that look like these.   This is the first time I have seen it on fruit. 

     
      While I was making photos of the infected fruit, someone asked me if that was normal or was it a ‘designer’ fruit.  Good thought. Can spots on fruit make them more attractive?   Most of the time spots on fruit indicate rot underneath.  In this case these spots are only on the skin and can be easily peeled off.

No comments:

Post a Comment