Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year’s Resolutions for the Gardener



        The beginning of the New Year is not the time to reflect on the past year, but to make resolutions for changes in your gardening practices.  Here are a few of my suggestions of gardening resolutions for this coming year that may give you ideas for your own.

·       I resolve, when ordering seeds this winter, to only order what I can plant, and take care of during the season.
·       When sowing vegetables in the garden, I will make successive plantings every 2-3 weeks so everything does not mature at once.  Just because there are 30 seeds in that package of squash or cucumbers does not mean you have to plant them all at the same time. 
·       I will build and maintain a good compost pile. No leaf of mine or my neighbors will go to waste.
·       I will make it a priority to get the perennial beds cleaned and mulched early this spring so the weeds will not get a head of me this year.
·       MORE sunscreen will be applied on sunny days.  It is never too late to start.
·       I will take better care of myself.  My body does not function like it used to function.  I will begin a stretching and weight lifting program this winter to get prepared for the spring.  I will probably need to stretch and loosen muscles before gardening, to drink plenty of water, and to take breaks (especially when hot).   I always used to think that gardening was exercise.  Never thought I would need to exercise so I could garden!
·       I will label my perennial plants better.  I am going to use more metal labels.  I think the squirrels and chipmunks (or maybe my grandkids) carry off those plastic stakes.
·       For the birds, I resolve to keep bird baths cleaned and filled regularly.  I will help my grandsons build some bird feeders.
·       I will plant the plants that I have been keeping in pots in case I moved.  A few have already ‘planted’ themselves since they have been there so long. 
·       I resolve to work in the garden in the mornings and early evenings and avoid the mid-day heat.
·       And lastly, when tired of gardening, I will take a break.  The most important resolution is to take time to smell the roses, to savor the vegetables, sip the wine and to just enjoy the beauty of your efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment