Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Plant Damage from Severe Cold

What a difference a week makes.  In Meridian the lowest low was 10 degrees, but there was over a 36 hour period below freezing.  As I write this, it is a sweltering 64 degrees!

I did a quick survey of my yard looking at damaged plants and am posting a few photos.  As far as to what to do about the damage, I recommend waiting at least a month before pruning it off.  The main reason for this is that winter is far from over.  If you cut off the damage and we have another arctic blast, then you might get more damage and you have to cut the plant even further back.

This is an 'evergreen' daylily.  This is Suburban Nancy Gale.

Sago palm has lost all its luster.  I will have to remove all fronds this spring.  In areas further north than Meridian the sagos were probably killed.

This is the freeze burned tip of a lime tree.  This damage actually occurred during an earlier freeze event - low 20s.  The plant in a container was covered but damage occurred where leaves touched tarp.  During this last cold event I put all my container-grown citrus indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment